5 Ways Job Hunting and Dating Are The Same
Although the task of job hunting may seem too tough to tackle, it’s really quite simple when you compare it to one of your favorite pastimes: dating. Just like burping out the alphabet or talking about your ex at the dinner table are sure-fire ways to blow a date, there are some things you just don’t want to do when trying to find a job. I found that if you apply these dating guidelines to the job search, you’re sure to find a dream job that’s a perfect fit for you.
1) Don’t be afraid of rejection: It’s going to happen. You have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince/princess. Just like dates, there will be some companies that just aren’t that into you. Don’t get discouraged; the right one is sure to come along.
2) Don’t use the same old line. Just like a good pick-up line, a cover letter should leave the recruiting director begging to know more. For your cover letter, short, catchy, and non-cheesy is the best way to go.
3) Don’t tell them what you think they want to hear. Just like a smart date, recruiting directors can see through your answers that are too good to be true.
4) Don’t be a stalker. There is a fine line between being persistent and being a stalker. If the recruiting director hasn’t gotten back to you, don’t call every 5 minutes and then hang up. After calling once, leave them a message telling them how to reach you and follow up with an email.
5) Don’t rely on just who YOU know. Your friends and contacts can match you up with a great date AND they can get your foot in the door during your job search.
Tap into as many connections as you can. Network. Network. NETWORK. You never know who your friends’ friends may know!
The Creative Network, Inc. is an executive recruiting firm with expertise in the consumer products industries with emphasis in the Art/Craft, Office Products, Gift, Stationery, Toy, Publishing, Home Decor, and Tabletop, HBA and Grocery Channels.
- Good Hunting! (or Resumes, Reach and Rejection – Oh My) (dougnewmanpro.wordpress.com)