Our 45,000 employees are committed to Environmental Performance — our mission to maximize resource value, while minimizing environmental impact so that both our economy and our environment can thrive. Serving over 20 million residential, industrial, municipal and commercial customers. Drawing on our resources and experience, we actively pursue projects and initiatives that benefit the waste industry, the communities we serve and the environment.
- Waste Management uses waste to create enough energy to power more than 1 million homes every year. By 2020, we expect to double that output, creating enough energy to power more than 2 million homes.
- As North America’s largest recycler, Waste Management managed more than 8 million tons of recyclable commodities . By the year 2020, we expect to increase the amount of material we manage to more than 20 million tons per year.
- Waste Management has over 120 landfill-gas-to-energy projects producing more than 540 megawatts of power, the equivalent of powering approximately 400,000 homes.
- Currently, we had more than 1,000 natural gas-powered trucks in our fleet, which is the largest in the industry.
- Our wholly owned subsidiary Wheelabrator Technologies owns or operates 17 waste-to-energy plants and five independent power production facilities in the U.S. that generate enough energy to power more than 900,000 homes.
- Through a joint venture with the Linde Group, we have built a plant that converts landfill gas into liquefied natural gas for use as fuel in our trucks. The facility is currently producing 13,000 gallons per day.
- Currently, we have over 110 WHC-certified sites