Out With The Old & In With The Bold
According to Merriam-Webster’s online dictionary, ‘Bold’ is ‘confidence’ and ‘fearlessness in the face of challenge’.
My wish for you as you move forward into this new year is to find the boldness within you – especially where your career is concerned.
When I speak and give career seminars to groups across the country, I regularly encounter women (and men) who are playing it safe – staying close to shore, so to speak – too afraid to sail out into open waters.
Your ability to succeed is directly tied to your willingness to fail, so make this the year that you step out of your career comfort zone and take more risks. Ask for the raise you feel you deserve, offer to spearhead your team’s newly assigned project, or start that business you’ve always dreamed of. There’s truly no time like the present to boldly go where you’ve never gone before in your career.
It’s easy to sit back and keep doing what you’ve been doing, but if you want to move forward career-wise – if you’re looking to grow in your abilities and accomplishments – then throw more boldness into the equation.
Try these 5 tips to bring out a bolder you:
- Join a Master Mind group. A great way to get support from like-minded people, and find the motivation to move forward more boldly. You can go online to find a group near you, or start one yourself.
- Attend Networking Events. Getting out and meeting new people is excellent practice for building your boldness quotient. It takes courage to walk into a room where you don’t know a soul and present yourself, and you’ll make valuable connections that could lead to new and bolder opportunities.
- Follow thought leaders/ motivators. Read the biographies of people you’d like to emulate and see how they found the boldness within themselves. Follow thought leaders you appreciate via their videos, blog posts and Twitter feeds for a steady stream of tips and insights on living a bigger, bolder life.
- Find a local Toastmasters chapter. These groups offer a valuable opportunity to build your confidence as an effective communicator and public speaker – helping you make a bolder impact in many aspects of your life.
- Practice. The key is to work your ‘boldness’ muscle as often as you can. The more you can call on your courage, the more you’ll discover the boldness in you.
Start thinking bold…start acting bold, and see where it takes you in 2014. Cheers!
With over a decade of career and professional development coaching experience, Caroline Dowd-Higgins has a desire to empower and energize people to achieve their personal goals. Her training style is engaging, high energy, and positive with a focus on unlocking the self-advocate within each of us. Read more from Caroline at carolinedowdhiggins.com.